Thursday, October 25, 2012

This semester so far, Fall 2012:

Classes I have taken/am taking:

  1. Exploration of Foreign Language Teaching. This class ended last week, since it was only a first block class. It helped me decide that I, indeed, want to pursue a teaching degree (Spanish Teaching with a Dual Language Immersion minor). It was from 8 am (sometimes earlier) to noon every single day. It took a toll on my body and energy and was hard, but worth every second. I truly loved that class and my teacher, Professor Montgomery.
  2. Multicultural Education. This class just started last week, as my second block class in place of the first I mentioned. I am loving it so far. It is only 8 am - 10 am Mondays and Wednesdays, but it is still really hard to get there on time. So I usually don't. I am always five-ten minutes late x_x
  3. 3rd-Year Spanish & Grammar. I am not the biggest fan of this class. It's way disorganized and all over the place, but I DO love that the teacher never, ever, ever takes attendance. The teacher is also quite a character. When I walked in the first day, I swore I was in the wrong class because I saw this little Asian woman. I asked her if this was the Spanish class and she enthusiastically replied in Spanish. It was quite funny. She is a trip. I also do love the people I sit around in the class. They are pretty great.
  4. Iberian Civilization. The Iberian peninsula= Spain + Portugal. It's mostly just a history class about Spain. I LOVE it. SO much. My teacher is such a diva. She is fifty years old or so, white-blond hair, dresses so cute, has the most refined Spanish ever, is actually from Spain, and is so dang witty. Also, I just love Spain.
  5. Spanish Phonetics & Pronunciation. This is actually my favorite class. Besides the fact that my professor is ridiculously handsome (and married with children, unfortunately which is sweet), he also served his mission in Venezuela (my stepmom is Venezuelan) and he got a degree at the University of Miami (the school I almost went to instead of BYU). So he's awesome. But it is SO cool learning about different dialects and being able to share my wonderful, interesting Puerto Rican-Colombian-Miami-Cuban Spanish with the class. I really do love this class. It has made me consider being a linguistics major, but I love teaching too much to not.
Also, I've been volunteering in a Spanish Immersion second grade classroom and LOVE it.

Also, I'm seriously considering and taking the first steps into getting a car. It is time.

Also, I registered for classes for next semester two nights ago. I am taking:
  1. New Testament
  2. Educating Students with Learning Disabilities in Secondary Education
  3. Adolescent Development
  4. Spanish-American Culture & Civilization
  5. Second Language Acquisition
  6. 3rd Year Spanish Composition
I may die next semester, but I don't have any classes Tuesdays. And only two classes Thursdays and Fridays. 

That is all for now!

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, you are SO busy - but your enthusiasm is contagious! That must be what keeps you going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always so busy. Sometimes I feel like it's too much- I don't ever have much "me" time to just sit and read for fun, lollygag, etc. But being busy is better than being bored :) I WILL NOT WEAR MY BUSINESS AS A BADGE OF HONOR, though! Hahah

      Delete
  2. Melissa - how exciting that you want to join the teaching profession! I taught bilingual kindergarten (spanish) for eight years before moving up to bilingual fourth. I love it! If you need any help on your ed classes let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is wonderful! I dream of being an immersion program Spanish teacher in Elementary schools (although my major is ScEd)

      Delete